TAURANGA – ROTORUA
Travel distance is approximately 82kms (51 miles).
Allow at least 1 hour drive time (not including stops).
After a tasty breakfast from one of the many cafes located in Tauranga you are only a short drive away from one of New Zealand’s greatest cultural tourist hot-spots… Rotorua.
Since the travel distance is only approximately 60 minutes, you can take your time and enjoy some of the sights along the route before driving up and over the Mamaku Range and then descending down into Lake Rotorua.
Some notable stops along the route to Rotorua include:
Known as the “Kiwifruit Capital of New Zealand”, Te Puke is an easy drive from Tauranga and its most notable attraction is Kiwi 360 with its famous landmark – the giant kiwifruit. The main street is a shoppers haven with a great selection of boutique shops.
The Comvita Visitor Centre is the home of natural health in New Zealand and is all about bee’s and honey! Here you will find the largest selection of internationally renowned Comvita products, including Manuka honey!
OKERE FALLS SCENIC RESERVE
Located just 21km’s before Rotorua on Trout Pool Road, enjoy beautiful walking tracks, the tranquil Trout Pool, picturesque waterfalls and the site of Rotorua’s first hydro-electric power station.
One of the most famous tourist destinations in New Zealand, from the moment you arrive in Rotorua you will experience a place that is quite different from anywhere else in New Zealand. From the scent of sulphur in the air, to nearby geothermal hotspots with spouting geysers, mud pools bubbling and belching, and warm geothermal pools and ponds that create a kaleidoscope of colour, this is the place to stay and enjoy for as long as possible!
Highly recommended Rotorua tourist attractions include…
Crater Lakes – Due to thousands of years of volcanic activity, Rotorua boasts many stunning lakes throughout the region, all steeped in local Maori history. The famous Green and Blue lakes are located adjacent to each other in lush forest settings. The Blue Lake is a popular recreational area with walking tracks, hiking tracks and much more.
Skyline Skyrides – A great all weather attraction for the entire family. Enjoy a picturesque ride up the gondola for fabulous aerial views of the region. Dine in the restaurant at the top and ride the famous luge back down!
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland – This geothermal sightseeing attraction is just outside of Rotorua and allows visitors to view a wide range of stunning natural features including geysers, mud pools, mineral terraces, hot and cold pools plus steaming volcanic lakes.
Hells Gate Thermal Reserve – Rotorua’s most active thermal park and New Zealand’s only mud bath complex with geothermal mud and therapeutic water.
Agrodome Sheep Show & Farm Tour – Enjoy an hour long live show of working New Zealand sheep and dairy farming in an interactive and truly enjoyable display.
Buried Village – Visit the Museum of Te Wairoa and take a special journey as the fascinating story of the village of Te Wairoa unfolds, including the voyages to the Pink and White Terraces and the eruption of Mt Tarawera.
Rotorua offers a plethora of cultural experiences, including genuine Hangi and Maori performances, geothermal marvels and for nature lovers, lakes and forests galore for fishing, mountain biking, hiking, rafting, tours and much more.
New Zealand Itineraries: North Island Suggested Itineraries
Our modern self-drive travel Itineraries have routes specifically for the North Island as well as the South Island, ranging from 5 to 11 days, plus there are some travel routes that take in both the North and South Island’s. Our range of travel itineraries include information regarding travel distances and time to ensure that you can make the best of your time in New Zealand, no longer how short your visit!
- 5 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua and Rotorua – Auckland
- 6 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Dargaville, Dargaville – Kaitaia, Kaitaia – Paihia, Paihia – Whangarei and Whangarei – Auckland
- 7 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Napier and Napier – Wellington
- 8 Day Itinerary: Wellington, Wellington – Masterton, Masterton – Wellington, Wellington – Nelson, Nelson – Blenheim and Blenheim – Christchurch
- 9 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Coromandel, Coromandel – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier – Taupo, Taupo – Rotorua, Rotorua – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 9 Day Itinerary (route 2): Auckland – Whangarei, Whangarei – Paihia, Paihia – Hokianga, Hokianga – Auckland, Auckland – Rotorua, Rotorua – Taupo, Taupo – Waitomo Caves and Waitomo Caves – Auckland
- 11 Day Itinerary: Auckland – Whitianga, Whitianga – Tauranga, Tauranga – Rotorua, Rotorua – Gisborne, Gisborne – Napier, Napier Taupo Napier, Napier – Wellington, Wellington – New Plymouth, New Plymouth – Waitomo and Waitomo Caves – Auckland