The west coast of the North Island is dominated by the towering volcanic cone of Mt Taranaki (also called Mt Egmont).
The fertile plains at the foot of the mountain support intensive dairy farming, serviced by many small, tight-knit communities. Many of these value the recreational benefits derived from a friendly relaxed round of golf with frequent scenic vistas of the majestic mountain.
The 20 golf courses in the region are listed below and a brief description is given of some of the notable ones.
New Plymouth at Ngamotu on Devon Road, is a beautiful links-style course enhanced by the avenues of pohutukawa trees, which bloom in a brilliant profusion of red in early summer. There are stunning views of both the mountain and the Tasman Sea, but sea breezes can produce interesting effects on the flight of the ball if you are not careful. Ngamotu, as the locals call it, is a very testing championship course with facilities maintained to the highest possible standard. It is one of our most aesthetically pleasing courses and at 6,082 metres, par 72, it is treated with great respect as a course to challenge the best.
Westown club on Mangorei Road is further inland than Ngamotu and its good cover of native forest offers welcome protection from the prevailing on-shore winds. This par 72 course is relatively uncrowded and offers visitors the prospect of a very pleasant but testing round.
Fitzroy club on Record Street, New Plymouth is a seaside links course close to the well-known surfing beach. The course is not usually crowded and makes for an enjoyable round of golf when the on-shore breezes behave.
Taranaki Region Golf Courses
- Eltham, Kitchener Street, Eltham
- Fitzroy, 3 Record Street, New Plymouth
- Hawera, Fairfield Road, Hawera
- Inglewood, Lepper Road, Inglewood
- Kaitake, Main South Road, Oakura
- Manaia, Bennett Drive, Manaia
- Manukorihi, Off Ngatimaru Road, Waitara
- New Plymouth, Devon Road, Ngamotu
- Opunake, Namu Road, Opunake
- Patea, Oxford Street, Patea
- Pungarehu, S.H 45, Pungarehu
- Stratford, Pembroke Street, Stratford
- Strathmore, Makuri Road, Stratford