Dunedin city is proud of its Scottish heritage and is a fascinating place to visit.
Queenstown ‘The Adventure Capital of the World’ and Wanaka, an idyllic lakeside ski resort town, have mountainous backdrops that are simply breathtaking. Central Otago has a remarkably distinctive landscape with round top mountain ranges carpeted in golden tussock.
The game of golf originated in Scotland so it is no surprise that the game has a huge following in this sparsely populated region. Even the smallest settlements here cherish their local club. The 42 golf clubs in this region are set out below together with a brief description of some of the notable ones.
Millbrook Resort near Arrowtown is a championship course designed by Sir Bob Charles in a magnificent setting with stunning views of Coronet Peak and the Remarkables. The 6,420 metre, par 72 course is rated by Tourism New Zealand as one of the best eight in the country and is often described as one of the finest alpine courses in the world. The hotel complex and villas are top class and the overnight package deals are perfect for someone who wants a serious golfing holiday.
Otago club at Balmacewen was founded by Scottish pioneers in 1871. The 5,948 metre, par 71 championship course is quite hilly and physically demanding for golfers used to electric carts. It presents a great golfing challenge due to the frequent mounds, slope changes and bunkers, but the greens are immaculate.
St Clair in Dunedin is set amongst pine groves on spectacular cliff tops above St Clair Beach. This fine course is favoured for international tournaments and always offers a warm welcome to visitors.
Queenstown Kelvin Heights course is a must on a New Zealand golfing holiday. It stands on a peninsula on the shores of Lake Wakatipu surrounded by towering snow-capped peaks and must rank amongst the most scenically photogenic courses in the world. This spectacular golfing experience can be reached by road (19 km) or water taxi from Queenstown.
Wanaka club is also a breathtaking golf experience with the 5,794 metre, par 70 course surrounded by the snow-capped peaks of Mt Aspiring National Park. This flat to undulating course is an excellent test for all players in a picturesque environment.
North Otago club is in Oamaru, midway between Dunedin and Timaru. This relatively short, undulating course has panoramic views of the ocean and a friendly, welcoming approach to visitors.
Otago Region Golf Courses
- Cromwell, Neplusultra Street, Cromwell
- Millbrook Resort, Malaghans Rd, Arrowtown
- Otago, 125 Balmacewen Rd, Dunedin
- St Clair, Isadore Rd, Dunedin
- Taieri, Milners Road, North Taieri
- Alexandra, Alexandra-Clyde Highway
- Allan Grange, Clydevale, Otago
- Ardleigh, Sutherland Rd, Meadowbank
- Arrowtown, Main Rd, Arrowtown
- Balclutha, 23 Golfers Drive, Balclutha
- Belleknowes, Lawson Street, Dunedin
- Chisholm Park, 16 Tahuna Rd, Tainui
- Clinton, Merrie Creek Road, Clinton
- Dunstan, O’Reilly Ave, Clyde
- Gladfield, Gladfield Rd, East Taieri
- Glenorchy, Cnr Mull & Oban Sts, Glenorchy
- Heriot, Brighton Road, Dunedin
- Island Park, Main Rd, Waldronvill, Dunedin
- Kaitangata, Wangaloa Domain, Kaitangata
- Kurow, State Highway 83, Kurow, Otago
- Lawrence, Weatherston, Lawrence
- Lower Waitaki, Hilderthorpe Rd, Oamaru
- Maniototo, Maniatoto District, Otago
- Middlemarch, Garthmyl Rd, Middlemarch
- Naseby, Naseby Road, Maniatoto
- North Otago, Beach Road, Oamaru
- Omakau, Alton Street, Omakau
- Omarama, State Highway 8, Omarama
- Otakou, Harrington Point Rd, Otago Peninsula
- Owaka, 18 Saunders Street, Owaka
- Patearoa, Patearoa Rd, Patearoa
- Port Chalmers, Reservoir Rd, Sawyers Bay
- Queenstown, Peninsula Rd, Kelvin Heights
- Roxburgh, Scotland St, Roxburgh
- Tapanui, Tapanui, Otago
- Tarras, State Highway 8A, Tarras
- Tokarahi, Dip Hill road, Tokarahi
- Toko, Back Road, Milton
- Twelve Oaks, Dukes Road, Mosgiel
- Waikouaiti, Edinborough St, Waikouaiti
- Waitahuna, Lockharts Rd, Waitahuna
- Wanaka, Ballantyne Rd, Wanaka
Golf Courses: Locations, Grounds, Design and Facilities
[wooslider category="golf-courses" slider_type="posts" layout="text-right" overlay="full" limit="40" thumbnails="true" link_title="true" display_excerpt="true"]