New Zealand’s largest city has a temperate climate and an expansive land area that lends itself to outdoor sporting activity. Two superb natural harbours and an island-studded Hauraki Gulf make it ideal for sailing and other water sports. Lush green open spaces have been developed into excellent golf courses.
The 23 golf courses in this region are set out below together with a brief description of some of the notable ones.
Formosa Auckland Country Club was designed by New Zealand golf professional Sir Bob Charles as a very challenging 6,633 metre, par 72 course, 40 minutes drive from Auckland City. The ocean views are spectacular from all the tees but prolific water hazards, bunkers and fearsome rough ensure that your attention is closely focused on the fairways. Clubhouse facilities include a spa, sauna, steam-room, restaurant and bar. Accommodation is available in 50 villas. Formosa is the longest course in the country and is rated by Tourism New Zealand as one of our eight best courses.
Titirangi, in West Auckland is one of our shorter championship courses at 5,771 metres and par 70, but still represents a great challenge with a combination of very tricky par 3 holes, some long fairways and deceptive sloping greens. The course was designed by Dr Alistair McKenzie, the architect of Augusta National and it is a joy to play with extensive areas of native bush and active bird life.
The Grange is another fine championship course close to Auckland City. It offers easy walking along narrow tree-lined fairways and over footbridges spanning gullies.
Auckland Golf Club in the suburb of Middlemore, is a similarly prestigious championship course. It offers one of the greatest tests of skill in the region with difficult par 4 holes and the strategic placement of bunkers around greens.
Akarana in Mt Roskill is a popular course with nicely groomed fairways and greens where sub-80 scores are eminently possible.
Manukau is a demanding course where frequent dog-legs require accurate placement of tee shots.
Whitford Park, 30 minutes east of the city amidst rolling hill country and native bush, has an excellent country club atmosphere and good facilities.
Chamberlain Park is a fine public course that has an informal dress code and very reasonable fees.
Auckland Region Golf Courses
- Formosa Auckland Country Club, 110 Jack Lachlan Drive, Beachlands
- Maungakiekie, Anita Avenue, Auckland
- Pakuranga Country Club, 199 Botany Road Howick, Auckland
- Remuera, 120 Abbotts Way, Meadowbank, Auckland
- The Grange, Grange Road, Papatoetoe, Auckland
- Titirangi, Links Road, New Lynn, Auckland
- Akarana, 1388 Dominion Road, Auckland
- Auckland, 30 Hospital Road, Otahuhu, Auckland
- Aviation, Tom Pearce Drive, Auckland
- Awhitu, Brooke Road, Waiuku, Franklin District
- Chamberlain Park, 46A Linwood Ave., Mt Albert
- Clarkes Beach, 100 Stevenson Road, Clarks Beach
- Howick, 32 Musick Point Road, Musick Point
- Manukau, Great South Road, Takanini
- Maramarua, State Highway 2, Pokeno
- Onewhero, cnr Main & Churchill Roads, Pukekawa
- Papakura Camp, Walters Road, Takanini
- Pukekohe, State Highway 22, Karaka
- Redwood, 13 Knox Road, Swanson, Auckland
- Waiheke Island Country Club, Onetangi Road, Waiheke Island
- Waiuku, Racecourse Road, Waiuku
- Wattle Downs, Wattle Farm Rd Extension, Manurewa
- Whitford Park, 58 Whitford Park Road, Whitford