Is Freedom Camping allowed in New Zealand? And other frequently asked questions.
Freedom Camping or Free Camping is still allowed in New Zealand. However, due to the actions of a few selfish people, this may change in the future. Campers defecating in pristine camping areas and dumping human waste from campervans, often near waterways, is a very real problem. Also, the amount of garbage left behind at some sites is disgusting to say the least.
New Zealand has a countrywide network of Dump Stations and refuse collection facilities, so there really is no excuse for campers to leave their rubbish and waste behind. In the interests of New Zealand remaining a Freedom Camping paradise, Tui Campers and New Zealand’s Information Network urge everyone touring the country to please manage their waste and garbage properly.
Thanks to the feedback from clients searching for more information on Freedom Camping in New Zealand, we have put our own Q&A section together based on the questions you have put to us.
Now to those other frequently asked questions.
- Where can we spend the night?
- What are New Zealand’s rules about Free Camping?
- What do we do with our campervan toilet waste and our rubbish?
- What are the basic road rules?
- What are the rules for cyclists?
- Is hitchhiking allowed in New Zealand?
- How do we keep ourselves and our possessions safe?
- How should we prepare for the New Zealand outdoor wilderness?
- What is the emergency service number in New Zealand?
- DoC (Department of Conservation) Information Centres, camp sites and facilities.
- What is cellphone & TV coverage like in New Zealand?
- Can we easily obtain food and other supplies as we travel?
- New Zealand Regional Information
While we have endeavored to provide answers to some of the most common queries we receive at New Zealand’s Information Network, we know there are a great many more questions that viewers might want answers to. So, if you can’t find the answers you need here, or through the links we have supplied, simply ask us direct. You can Contact New Zealand’s Information Network with your question and we’ll attempt to find out the answer for you. If we don’t know it, we’ll track down an individual or organisation that does.
We intend to continue to expand the Green Camping Guide over time, so your questions and the answers we provide may very well be included here for all to see.
Enjoy camping Green in our beautiful country and look after it as you would your own garden, for the benefit of all those who will come after you.